Our work with local primary schools continues to grow year by year. This year, we have continued to work particularly closely with Wooden Hill and Great Hollands, providing additional music and drama lessons on a weekly basis to both schools. We have also had some wonderful feedback about our Year 13 musicians who have been working with Great Hollands Year 5s – teaching lessons and preparing performances for our ‘Christmas by Candlelight’ event. We hope to turn this into an annual celebration of what student leadership can achieve!
Every year, our PA department and Mrs Karakurt put on a showcase of transition work. This year we are including Jennett’s Park Y6 students in a huge performance, that will be held in our theatre on June 29th. Again, lots of time and effort goes into ensuring our community feels welcome at our school and as always, all are invited to buy tickets and attend all of our performance evenings – please keep an eye on our parent calendar and our website for up to date information.
Our Senior Teacher Discovery, Richard Lake, continues to visit all of our local primary schools to talk about life at EPCS, often taking students with him to share their honest views too. We have peer mentoring available for those students who sometimes feel uneasy about starting life in secondary school and have lots of students ready to offer their support and guidance to ease the transition. There are also many, many clubs available for new students to join in order to feel more connected.
Here are some of the ways in which we ensure a positive transition for our Year 6 students:
- Year 5 transition opportunities. We offer students the chance to visit our school, through a number of different avenues – Bike It Crew, PA, English and Creative Writing, Science and of course our annual school production matinees.
- A two day Year 6 transition – a chance to emerge yourself in EPCS life completely (with a free t-shirt!)
- A visit from Mr Lake, Senior Teacher Discovery, at all primary schools to meet and greet students.
- A rigorous form group process that takes into account a huge amount of information on your child to ensure they have a positive first day and are set up in the right tutor group for their progress.
- Our Family Support Adviser Kirstie Clay is always on hand to answer any queries or arrange a visit.
- A welcome pack to all students.
- A ‘Meet the Tutor’ evening for parents, to complete the required forms and learn a thing or two about how to track your child’s progress, how to monitor their behaviour, support homework and organisation etc.
- Open Mornings to take a tour of the building and see some of our wonderful facilities
- Open Evening to peruse the site at your leisure or take a student led tour
- Parent Workshops – how to use our RealSmart platform to engage with your child’s learning
- Confidence for learning 2 day programme – targeting students who might feel a little shy or anxious about their move to a bigger school.
- Behaviour for learning 2 day programme – targeting students who may need support working in bigger classrooms with more students.
- Summer school – narrowing the gap to ensure a head start in September for those who struggle in English and Maths